Good Filing System, Why It Is Important ?
Why organization need good filing system ?
Every business has a story to tell, so to speak. It may be a tangible product or a professional service that is made available to a target market and how this product or service has made life easy and more comfortable for them. Such information has to be encoded and captured in some documents to serve as a permanent record of these transactions.
In its simplest form, a good filing system has to have the basic information about the business: corporate documents, operating procedures, and the manner it conducts its business to achieve corporate results. As business is dynamic, business transactions happen in such volumes that an organized system of arranging and storing them has to be in place, otherwise the business will not be able to move smoothly due to an information disarray or even overload.
Advantages of Good Filing System
An efficient or good filling system provides the following advantages.
1. Efficiency: The office staff can easily locate and use the records properly without any delay under good filing system. This leads to savings in time and brings efficiency in office operations.
2. Ready Reference: Filing arrangement helps the office staff to refer the relevant papers and documents very quickly. Customers do not like to be asked to supply copies of the earlier communication but they can only indicate invoice number and/or reference number with date.
3. Protection: A good filing system protects the documents from possible loss or damage.
4. Planning: The business policy can be framed and planning of the project can be done by referring past records by the management, Hence, the documents provide a basis for future planning.
5. Better Control: The process of control is facilitated by good filing system. All the incoming and outgoing letters are properly checked and quick disposal of letter is possible if immediate attention is required by any letter.
6. Quality Decision: Filing enables the executives to take quality decision at time.
7. Evidence: In the case of a legal dispute, filing provides documentary evidence in the court of law.
8. Legal Compliance: Filing fulfills the legal obligation such as keeping documents according to income tax; value added tax and the like.
9. Follow Up: Filing facilitates the management in case of securing order from the customer and collecting dues from them also.
10. Goodwill: A good filing system enables the office staff to handle correspondence correctly and quickly. This creates and increases the goodwill of the business organization in the business world.
Tips for Creating a Good Filing System
Filing can be daunting, especially if you haven’t paid much attention to it and now have a mess to sort through and organize. But creating an effective filing system isn’t an overly complex feat. In fact, it boils down to two simple things – setting up a file system that makes sense to you and consistently keeping it up.
Here are some tips to get you off to a good start with your filing system:
- Consider how you tend to sort information in your head, and sketch out a paper-based system that mirrors it.
- Name files in a way that makes immediate sense to you and consider color coding your files for easier recognition.
- Start simple and let your file system grow organically.
- Keep files, labels and other materials on hand to make it easier and quicker to file items away.
- Create a central “To File” location to collect paper that you need to file so you can quickly do a chunk of filing at one time.
- Schedule time each week to catch up on filing and clear your desk and computer desktop.
- Invest in a good shredder for any papers you determine do not need to be kept.
- Don’t forget about electronic filing – create a secondary system (or primary, if you run a paperless business) for organizing files on your computer. And back it up!
- Revisit the setup of your system regularly to ensure it meets the needs of your business, and be willing to adjust it as necessary.
- Plan a file purge every six months to a year to clean out dated, irrelevant or unnecessary files.
Document Control and Filing System Training
However, many employees are still lack of understanding and application of good filing system.
TransWISH Indonesia successfully arranged document control and filing system training. This training is conducted on Monday Nov 28th 2016. The event is followed by client and our sister company Transafe Indonesia.
Client followed this training is coming from Agricon. This shows increased the company’s trust to TransWISH Indonesia from the previous Training for trainer sertifikasi BNSP Bogor.
Trainer for this training is Mrs. Maria Qibtiyah
We hope all participants gain new insights and knowledge to apply in day to day job.
If You Need Training for your company, Please do not hesitate to contact your favorite training advisor Below